Listen.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Classes Round Two.

Tuesday is an easy day with only one class, Czech 101. I can now introduce myself, tell you where I live and how I am doing. AND I know how to order water without bubbles =)

After class, Devon, Kirby and I went to the Prague City Museum, the second part of our assignment for Prague Art and Architecture. It was a small exhibit showing the history of the four original Prague boroughs: Old Town, Hradcany, Lesser Town and New Town and continued on to the time when they were all combined. We saw the impact of Christianity, the arts, political and economic changes and the architectural transformation the city underwent over the years.
There was also this really neat exhibit, Langweil’s Model of Prague (1826). It was made over a period of around 10 years, and is a large-scale model of the city of Prague. The detail was impeccable, down to store fronts and windows. While much of the city has changed since then, the main buildings and historical landmarks have remained the same.
Wednesday brought around another long day of four classes. We met with all the other Czech classes and learned a few traditional Czech songs! In our Prague Art and Architecture class we had a short lecture and then went to the Prague Castle to see St. George’s Basilica. It is a beautiful structure, but the history behind it was really interesting as well.I rushed back with a few other girls and made it just in time to my Sociology and the Family class. More rude and obnoxious students made me quite glad to finish up early. I ran into Nick on my way to grab a bite to eat, so the two of us had dinner at the delicious Bohemia Bagel. I finished up the night with 20th Century Art, learning about the beginning of photography and the impact of the Japanese woodblock prints. I was glad to finish up by 9 and back to the apartment to crash I went…

Plane tickets for Spring Break to Italy and Greece with Mum are bought!! (thanks Mum!)

I got up early Thursday so get a bunch of stuff done before leaving for Budapest!!! I finally got more credit for my phone at the Vodafone store and the I headed over to the Prague Castle to finish up the tour that we had started the previous day.

The permanent exhibit, “The Story of Prague Castle” was first on my list. A really great exhibit starting with the pre-history of Prague and finishing with the 20th Century developments, it gave me a great look of the expansive history. Filled with remnants of jewelery, kitchenware, clothing and manuscripts; it was all quite fascinating.

I made it back to my last class of the week, Critical Approaches to Art and Visual Culture, with a few minutes to spare. This is probably one of my favorite classes; a great teacher, small class and conversational structure make it really great! We are focusing on the meaning of our identity and how art and society affect it. I am enjoying getting to know the teacher and my classmates as well, we are all very like-minded and its nice to talk with others of similar interests and beliefs.

I rushed back to the apartment, packed up my things and grabbed lunch, and then set out for the bus station! Budapest here we comeeeee =)

I’m actually writing this from the bus… I’m sitting here typing and I just looked out my window. I’m just going to add how much I am falling in love with this country. It is gorgeous. While I have mostly been in the city, amidst the bustling people and busy streets, getting out of the city is great. The country-side is quiet and peaceful. As I look out the window I see fields covered with fresh snow, trees scattered about. The sky is white, everything almost blends together, I feel like we are in a cloud.

Six more hours….

No comments:

Post a Comment