Listen.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Kutna Hora: Bones and more sickness.

So we (Christine, Devon, Jake, Donnie and I) planned to take a day trip to Kutna Hora, about an hour away on Saturday.  The town is famous for the Sedlec Ossuary Chapel,  known more as the Bone Church. 

I woke up not feeling too hot, nothing was sitting right in my stomach, but we got on the train around 10am anyways!

Our first stop was the Bone Church.  It was really creepy and cold, just gave me the chills.  At the time of the thirty years’ war in the 17th century, the number of burials outgrew the space available, the older remains began to be exhumed and stored in the chapel, and it’s estimated that the chapel now contains the bones of up to 40,000 people. 
 So yes, just plain CREEPY.

Across the street was the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.  It had surprisingly bright and yellow interior and a really cool organ!
After the church we walked into the city center and went to a really great restaurant recommended by our favorite travel guide, Rick Steves.  I could barely eat a few bites of my meal so I decided to take an earlier train back to Prague =( That was a good decision, because I ended up getting sick on the train. It must have been food poisoning or a 12 hour bug... I slept the rest of the day :/

1 comment: